One of the struggles you’ll encounter as a homeowner when doing renovation projects is accidental paint spills and drips. When you have paint on your floor, you have to clean it as soon as possible to help prevent permanent stains. If you want to know how to get paint off wood floors or concrete floors, then keep reading.
How to Remove Paint From Concrete Floors
Removing paint spots or spills from concrete floors is easy. The method to remove paint depends on the type of paint, the porosity of concrete, and the size of the paint spill. Here are the steps to follow on how to remove paint from concrete for the best results.
How to remove paint stains using a power washer
The power washer will come in handy when any paint is spilled on concrete. Ensure the power washer is at 3000 PSI to get rid of the stain. The spray should point downwards and move in a sweeping motion to work effectively. Keep the pressure washer nozzle about 12 to 18 inches from the concrete; this distance allows the water to penetrate the paint without causing any damage.
How to use a chemical paint stripper to remove paint stains
If you don’t have a power washer, you can opt for a chemical paint stripper. The following is how to use a chemical paint stripper to remove paint from concrete floors:
- Step 1: Buy a chemical paint stripper for removing oil-based paints.
- Step 2: Check the manufacturer’s instructions and apply a thick layer of the chemical paint stripper using a squeegee, broom, or brush.
- Step 3: Allow the stripper to rest for about 4 to 24 hours or until it penetrates and the paint becomes soft. Use a scraper to remove the paint once it appears wrinkled.
- Step 4: If some paint remains on your concrete floor, use the stripper again and allow it to work for more time.
- Step 5: Mop the remaining residue.
- Step 6: Use a degreaser to clean your concrete floor.
It is crucial to review any instructions and specifications of the chemical stripper you choose to use; chemical strippers may have different instructions for various materials.
How To Get Paint Off Wood Floors
You are bound to get a few paint stains here and there on your wooden surfaces when you are painting. Fortunately, there are straightforward ways to get paint off wood floors.
How to remove paints using a heat gun
When figuring out how to get paint off wood floors, using a heat gun can be a very effective and non-invasive method:
- The first step is to point your heat gun to the stain to make it softer; be sure to keep the end of the heat gun at enough distance to avoid damaging or burning the wood flooring.
- Carefully scrape the paint with a putty knife.
- Wipe the stained area using a damp rag.
- If there are still some paint stains, use products specialized for removing paint. Such products are easy to use, and you just have to apply them to the stain using a cotton swab.
How to use rubbing alcohol to remove wood floor paint
The other way to remove paint from wood floors is with rubbing alcohol. Start by removing as much paint as you can with a bladed tool. Next, soak a piece of cloth in rubbing alcohol. To make the paint removal as easy as possible, allow 20 to 30 minutes for the paint to absorb the rubbing alcohol. Apply the cloth to the paint stain and rub until all the paint is gone.
If you cannot remove the paint stains using the rubbing alcohol method, you can try the household stain remover, Goof-Off or similar products; be sure to check the product specifications for any mentions of wood flooring to prevent any possible damage to the wood.
Wood and Concrete Floor Cleaning in Orlando
The above methods help remove paint stains from concrete and wood floors in Florida. If you can still see the stain even after trying all the above techniques or don’t feel comfortable trying these methods yourself, you should contact us today for more information on our hard surface cleaning services.
Image Source: Rawpixel.com / Shutterstock