No matter how well-decorated your home is, it feels unwelcome once it starts smelling musty. Is there a musty smell in your house? Read on to find out the cause and get rid of musty smells in your home or basement.
What Causes a Musty-smelling House?
Before you can get rid of the musty smell in your home, you must first figure out what is producing it. Some of the factors that can cause a musty-smelling home:
- Mold or mildew could be causing a musty smell.
- Damp laundry and sweaty sports gear that’s lying around in the house.
- Pet hair that has accumulated on your ceiling fans.
- Pet odors on your carpets or furniture can create musty smells.
- Leakage and build-up of water beneath your sinks.
- Closing your house for a long time can cause the air inside to be stale.
How To Get Rid of Musty Smells in Your House
Locate the Source of the Smell
If the musty smell is limited to a single room, you should be able to locate and treat the source of the smell with ease. However, if the musty smells are all over, structural moisture could be the source of the odors. In this case, consider enlisting the services of a local expert.
The musty smell will leave as fresh air keeps pouring into your house.
- Open as many windows and doors as possible to allow as much fresh air as possible.
- Turn on the ventilation fans to get the air in your kitchen and bathrooms moving.
- In rooms without windows or ventilation fans, run your electric fan to air out the musty smells.
Deep Clean and Remove Dust
The accumulation of dust in your home could be the source of musty smells. To get rid of musty smells, deep clean the house and dust surfaces using a moist cloth and a feather duster.
Thoroughly mopping hard floors and dusting the hidden pockets of dust can be messy and time-consuming. To get the best result, allow a residential cleaning professional to do the deep cleaning.
Deep Clean Carpets
Carpets can smell musty when they are unclean and full of dust. One of the most effective ways to eliminate the musty smell is to give your carpets a deep clean and let them dry completely. Consider hiring a professional carpet cleaner to do it right the first time around.
Clean Your Furniture
Your furniture could be causing the musty smells in your home. To get rid of musty smells, deep clean your home furniture.
Here’s how to do it:
- If the furniture has removable covers, wash them in the washing machine. Scrub away any stubborn spots on the covers with extra baking soda if necessary.
- If your furniture doesn’t have removable covers, use a soft-bristled brush to dust it, then wipe it down with a moist towel.
- If the furniture is made of leather, spray the surface with a vinegar-water mixture and let it dry.
If the musty smell persists after doing this, let a furniture cleaning professional do a deeper clean on your furniture.
Clean Your HVAC System
Over time, dust and grime accumulate in your air ducts, circulating musty smells throughout your home. Cleaning your HVAC system thoroughly and routinely will help eliminate musty smells from your house.
Air duct cleaning is not something you should do on your own. Since you won’t be able to reach all of the places of the ductwork that need to be cleaned, it’s best to schedule a regular professional air duct cleaning.
Residential HVAC Cleaning in Orlando
With the right approach, it is possible to get rid of musty smells and restore the freshness of your home. If you suspect that your Orlando home’s HVAC unit may be the source of the musty smells in your house, get it cleaned. Cleaning your dryer duct also helps minimize indoor air pollution and boosts the efficiency of your heating and cooling system.
To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at 407-681-7277.
Image Source: Krakenimages.com/Shutterstock